Hands down this is the best parenting advice that we have ever received.
Well, except that one time…nope, yeah…this is the BEST parenting advice that we have ever received.
A year and a half ago we were in Seattle and out to lunch with our friends David & Sara Bechtold. They have four kids who are older than ours and we have always admired their parenting style from afar.
“Ok, guys. Tell us all your secrets.”
To which they responded, “We do this thing called, Kid Of The Week.”
They explained how each week one child is “Kid Of The Week.” For the whole entire week. It isn’t based on keeping track of stickers or who was the most well behaved child that week. Nope, you just rotate through your kids so that each child gets a turn to be, Kid Of The Week.
Example: Youngest to oldest…repeat.
Then with that prestigious title, they get certain privileges. Those privileges are completely up to you to determine based on what works best for your family. Here is what the “Kid Of The Week” gets in our house.
- They get their name on the board. (People come into our house and congratulate them. “Way to go, you are Kid Of The WEEEEEKKKKK!” We don’t usually have the heart to tell our guests that it is an automatic rotation kind of thing.) 😉
- They get to pick out the movie that we all watch on Saturday night. (“Sorry guys, if you don’t like what they picked you can go to bed instead.” No one has ever picked the “go to bed” option. Instead they sit there dreaming about what movie they are going to pick when it is THEIR turn.)
- They get a date with either mom or dad. (Sam and I love using Google Calendar. One Sunday I set up a reminder on my calendar that said, “Schedule date with kid of the week.” It is set to repeat every two weeks on my calendar. The following Sunday Sam set a reminder on his calendar that said, “Schedule date with kid of the week.” It is set to repeat every two weeks on his calendar. When our reminder comes up we check the board to see who is Kid Of The Week and then we pencil in a time on our calendar that week that will work to take the Kid Of The Week on a date. *Post coming soon with a list of some date ideas.)
- Last but CERTAINLY not least…any miscellaneous, random, unexpected thing that comes up in a given week (that doesn’t work for all five of our kids to do) automatically goes to KID OF THE WEEK! (And the parents GO WILDDDDDDDD!!!) Example…
- Dad brings home two donuts from work. Who gets it? KID OF THE WEEK! (And mom. I’m no fool.)
- Mom is going to run a quick errand while dad holds down the fort. Who gets to come? KID OF THE WEEK!
Ya’ll, I don’t know about you but my siblings and I used to FIGHT about who would get “shot gun” (the term for sitting in the front passenger seat). That ALL could have been solved with, KID OF THE WEEK!
Utilize it however you’d like.
The only requirement it that you tell a friend.
Every parent needs to know about, KID OF THE WEEK. Their sanity is worth it!!! 🙂