- Our family consists of five kids (ages 2,4,4,7 & 9), my husband and myself.
- I wash about 7-8 loads of clothes per week.
- I usually take a full day (*To clarify: I begin the first load in the morning and then the kids usually take their baskets up in the evening…the process spans a day but I’m only spending a few minutes here and there actually doing laundry) to get our laundry done about every 3 days or so.
- In our home I am so grateful for a laundry chute that brings all of the clothes directly down to our basement laundry room. (Without it I would probably have our kids throw all of their dirty clothes in the stacked baskets and I would carry them down one by one instead of all at once. While we do have our kids start carrying their baskets up the stairs, beginning at age 3, I wouldn’t feel comfortable with my little ones carrying full baskets down our stairs on their own.)
- I don’t fold my kids’ laundry. (Here are my 6 reasons why.)
- I carry two baskets up two flights of stairs on laundry day. One is full of our youngest son’s clothes (who is 2) and towels. The other basket is full of my clothes and my husband’s. Once upstairs I fold 🙂 the towels and put them away. I put our youngest son’s clothes away and I fold and put away my clothes and my husband’s.
- I would estimate that I personally spend less than an hour per week TOTAL doing laundry for our family of seven using the system below.
Simply because of the way our family grew we had to buy all new dressers. We purchased some inexpensive dressers from Ikea and the kids drawers are all set up the same way. It makes finding clothes when others are helping super easy…and ok, it is super easy for mom and dad to find things too. 🙂
That is our system…simple & efficient!
Would you join the revolution? 🙂